Administration Gets a New Look
Over the last few of months, you may have started using the grey internal navigation menu to navigate around your Socrata site when you are logged in. In an effort to continue making it easy to find what you need for your next data-related task, we are excited to launch a refreshed design and navigation for all your Administration activities.
Previously, it had not always been easy to find where you needed to go as an Administrator to configure certain features or respond moderation requests. Now, we’ve re-organized your Administration actions with new descriptions that better reflect the actions you are looking to take. Additionally, new breadcrumbs and a “gear” icon in the menu bar will help you navigate around the different Admin pages no matter where you are on a Socrata site.
This is one of the first steps in our efforts to make administering Socrata sites simple and intuitive, so continue to let us know what you think!
Read the Knowledge Base for more details on Socrata site administration.
Easily Manage Your Data Assets
The Asset Inventory contains every asset on your site, whether it’s a public dataset or a private chart, often making it the internal “go-to” spot for Administrators to find and manage the many assets on your Socrata site. Despite being such a critical tool for site management, it can sometimes be difficult to find what you are looking for, and when you do find it you often need to go somewhere else to take action on that asset.
In order to make finding, discovering, and managing your data assets as easy as possible, a new asset management experience is now available to preview for all Administrators and Publishers. This new experience will help you:
- Find your assets more quickly, with powerful search auto-complete, additional filtering options, and intuitive sorting capabilities;
- Review with confidence which assets are public in your catalog versus which are still internal to your organization;
- Quickly pull up assets you viewed recently with one click;
- And take quick action on your asset’s visibility, collaborators, and ownership from one convenient location.
In the video below, Christian Hoogerheyde introduces this new asset manager, specifically designed to help Admins do a whole lot more, in less time. In one elegant interface, Admins will see a streamlined experience for all common management tasks, a very powerful filterable-search to find what they want, and much more visibility into the key attributes of each asset.
This new experience is currently a “beta preview”, but will eventually become the default asset management experience for all Socrata Publica and Performance sites, so we encourage you to take a look and let us know what you think!
Read this Knowledge Base article for more details on how the Asset Inventory works.
Introducing the Activity Log
The Data Jobs page is currently the hub for tracking all data updates that happen on your Publica or Performance site. Tracking these changes to your datasets is important in helping debug issues and ensuring your data program is running smoothly. Along with the general Administration design updates, the Data Jobs page has a new look and name: the Activity Log.
While tracking dataset updates is important, datasets aren’t the only things changing on your site: metadata is updated, datasets and charts are made public, users are added, and much more. And to help you track changes across your site, we will begin to add more events to the new Activity Log page, making it easier for you to know what’s happening on the site you manage.
For now this page contains the same data update events you are familiar with, but keep an eye out for more updates to this page over the next few months!
Read this Knowledge Base article for more details on how the Activity Log works.
Small Updates & Bug Fixes
- New visualization tech preview:
- In the table below each visualization, there is now menu option in each column where you can sort descending or ascending, as well as view the column description.
- If the data type is true/false, the false field now correctly shows “False” on the axis of a visualization, instead of “(no value)”.
- If you click on a new visualization from your Profile or from the Administration Asset Inventory, you will be taken to the edit mode of that visualization.
- The new visualization experience is now available in the additional languages supported by Socrata.
- New asset management experience:
- Working copies now have a different icon from published datasets, so that you can more easily differentiate between the two.
- Are you a heavy browser tab user? It’s now easier to open the actions you want to take on an asset in a new tab.
- When sharing a dataset users were receiving emails that they had shared a dataset with themselves, rather than another user had shared it with them. This is now fixed.
- To avoid confusion of public users who cannot import or publish data on your site, two videos, “Importing a Dataset” and “Publishing a Dataset,” were removed from the Videos Page (at /videos on any Socrata site).