Once you have found an interesting dataset, chart, or map to look at, what can you do on the page?
For reference, "View" means any filter, chart, map, etc that is "Saved" from a dataset.
1. Title: This is the title given to the dataset or view. Views, such as charts, can have a different name from the dataset it is based on.
2. Based On: If you are on a view, this will link to the dataset that the view is based on. For example, if you create a pie chart of the total number of governors for each party, this would link back to the dataset with the numbers for each year.
3. Description: This is the description given to the dataset or view.
4. Social Media: This allows you to interact with this dataset or view through social media:
- RSS Subscription: Subscribe to updates on the dataset
- Facebook: Share the dataset or view on Facebook
- Twitter: Share the dataset or view on Twitter
- Email: Share the dataset or view over email
- Detail Row: This view displays each column and row in a tabular format (seen in example above)
- Fat Row: This view displays the details for each row grouped together, for example columns may be in a vertical list.
- Single Row: This view displays all the details for one row at a time, There are arrows to scroll through next and previous rows.
- Chart: If you are viewing a chart a button for the chart view will appear.
- Map: If you are viewing a map, a button for the map view will appear.
6. Search: Enter in a word or words to search within the dataset for matches.
7. Full Screen: Make the dataset or view full screen on your display.
8. Sidebar Buttons: Each of these buttons opens up a sidebar on the right-hand side of the dataset or view. Not all will appear, depending on if you are logged in and what role you have on the site. For more about user roles, read this article.
- Edit: Click this sidebar to create a working copy and edit the dataset. From a working copy, you can edit individual cells, append new rows, or replace the entire dataset.
- Manage: Click this sidebar to transfer ownership of the dataset or view to another user, delete the dataset or view, share the dataset or view with other users, make the dataset public or private, show and hide columns, and change the column order.
- More Views: Click this sidebar to see the other views created from the same dataset. These might be filtered views, charts, or maps. The number in red reflects the total number of views created from the dataset.
- Filter: Click this sidebar to sort the dataset by columns, group and roll up the dataset, filter the dataset, and set the default filter for that view.
- Visualize: Click this sidebar to set conditional formatting, create a calendar, create a map (if you have location data), and create a chart.
- Export: Click this sidebar to access APi information, print the dataset, and export the dataset.
- Discuss: If commenting is enabled, click this sidebar to comment and read other's comments on the dataset. Commenting can be enabled for the dataset and cell level.
- Embed: Click this sidebar to create a form from the dataset and create Social Data Player embeds
- About: Click this sidebar to view the metadata information about the dataset, edit the metadata, view dataset analytics, and contact the dataset owner.