Site Analytics is a great way for customers to check a number of different stats on their site. But what does all the information mean? In this article, we will break down the different charts and terminology so you can effectively interpret and analyze the performance of your site.
First, there are three parts to the Site Analytics page: Headlines, Trends, and Details.
The date range selection impacts all parts of the Site Analytics page and will be reflected immediately after a selection is made. It defaults to the current month to date.
The “Export” link on the right side of the Headlines area will download a CSV file with all available metrics for the domain relevant to the time period selected. You can learn about the coulmn fields names and definitions in this support article.
Headline boxes available are for page views, total datasets, total rows and embeds. In the Headline boxes, the bold number indicates the total for that metric on the domain regardless of time, while the green or red box indicates the change specific to the selected time period, with green representing an increase in the metric and red representing a decrease. In the image above, there were 27,644 page views and an increase of 1,383,201 rows between the dates of Mar 1, 2017 and Mar 23, 2017, whereas the total amount of page views is 29,749,039 for all time.
Page Views: The bolded black number is the total count of HTTP server requests for your site since it was created. This number always shows the full historic count and does not change based on the date range selected. The number includes both browser and API traffic. The green or red number is the count of page views for the specified date range. Please note that unlike the bolded black number, the green or red number only includes web browser traffic.
Total Datasets: Includes all published and unpublished tabular datasets created by uploading a data file (e.g. csv, xls,...etc.) and all published and unpublished datasets created by uploading geospatial files including KML / KMZ or shapefiles.
Total Stories: If you have the Perspectives product on your site, this will report the total number of stories on your site.
Total Rows: The total number of data records in all the datasets on your site. Includes both public and private datasets.
Embeds: The total number of times a dataset has been viewed from within a Social Data Player.
Export: Clicking this will download an export file for the date range specified.
The Trends area provides a look at certain metrics over the time period selected. Through the two drop-down menus, you can modify the metrics displayed and the increment of the selected time period.
The metrics available are page views, browsers, page types, disk usage, bytes out, views loaded, and rows loaded. Unavailable increments will be grayed if not applicable given the selected time period.
Chart Data: You can select from the following data to display on the chart:
- Page Views: Tracks every time any page on your site has been loaded in a web browser. Examples include catalog pages and dataset pages. There are two numbers/lines that we track:
- Page Requests: The number of requests on a page, which could include bots or other automated tools.
- Browser Page Views: The number of times a page has been loaded by a user's browser, this does not include bots or automated tools.
- Disk Usage: The total number of bytes consumed by all the datasets, public and private, that have been loaded into your site. This size represents the data as stored in Socrata, including search indexes and other representations of your data for performance, and may not equal the original size of the data you imported.
- Bytes Out: The total number of bytes of outbound bandwidth consumed by your site. This is the amount of data that has been transferred to your users.
- Views Loaded: The total number of times a dataset or filtered view has been requested. It is also broken down by access type. The most common types are:
- Website: Views that occur through your actual data site
- Social Data Player: Views that occur through embedded Social Data Players on other sites
- API: Accesses that occur directly through the Socrata Open Data API
- Rows Loaded: The total number of data records that users have retrieved from your site, via the web, download, or API clients. Also broken down by access type.
Similar to the Headlines area, the initial row includes boxes for charts, filters, maps, snapshots, downloadable files, and external datasets.The bold number indicates the total for that metric on the domain regardless of time, while the green or red box indicates the change specific to the selected time period.
The Top Lists in the Details area highlight the specific items during the selected time period in the Headlines Area. Top lists are available for Top Datasets, Top Referrers, Top Search Terms, Top Embeds, Top Downloads and Top Applications.
Charts: The total number of charts visualizations that have been created on your site. This includes both public and private charts and does not subtract deleted ones.
Filters: The total number of filtered views that have been created on your site. This includes both public and private filter and does not subtract deleted ones.
Maps: The total number of maps that have been created on your site. This includes both public and private maps and does not subtract deleted ones.
Snapshots: The total number of snapshots (past versions of a dataset) that have been created on your site.
Downloadable Files: The total number of "non-data file" downloadable datasets that are in the catalog.
External Datasets: The total number of links to external datasets or tools that are in the catalog.
Top Datasets: A listing of the most popular datasets on your site, listed by the number of views they have received.
Top Stories: A listing of the most popular stories on your site, for sites that have Perspectives added.
Top Dataset Referrers: A listing of the domains that link to your site, listed by the number of times that users have come to your site through those links. Clicking one of the domains will expand it to show all of the actual pages on those domains that link to your site.
Top Story Referrers: Similar to "Top Dataset Referrers" for sites that have Perspectives added.
Top Search Terms: A listing of the search terms that were used in your data catalog, ranked by the number of times those search terms were seen.
Top Embeds: A listing of the embedded Social Data Players that have been viewed the most times. Clicking on one of the domains will list the pages within that domain that the Social Data Players are actually embedded on.
Top Applications: A listing of community-developed applications that are accessing your datasets, tracked by their app tokens.
Top Downloads: A listing of the top downloaded datasets and the number of times they have been downloaded.