The Socrata Open Data Player™ (SDP) is a feature of the platform that allows audiences to republish data on the web as an Embed. When hosted on webpages these embeds serve as extensions of the portal - users can interact with the data, the content updates dynamically when the underlying data is updated and they link back to the original instance on the portal.
The SDPs can be customized via templates that can match the branding and styling of the data portal. This article will cover which site roles can edit the SDP and the different options for customizing them.
Who can edit
Site Roles that can create and edit the SDP Templates: Administrators, Designers
Where to edit
The edit dashboard can be accessed through Administration > SDP Templates.
The dashboard will contain a template with the standard Socrata branding. To the right, you will see four buttons:
Make Default - If you were to create more than one template you can make a certain template the default when an embed is created. The other templates will be presented as options. You cannot delete a template that has been made the default.
Delete - You can delete all templates except a template that has been made the default. Deletions are permanent.
Edit - You can customize the default template and any others you create.
Create a new template - This option will allow you create a template from scratch.
Let’s walk through creating a template...
Creating & Customizing a new template
1. Click on the ‘Create a new template button’. You will see a pop-up which will prompt you to name your template. This step is mandatory.
2. You are taken to an editing tool which will show you what your new template currently looks like. It will by default have Socrata branding and skinning.
You will see four sidebar options to the upper right of this editing tool. Changes made to the options within these four panels will update the template immediately so you can preview it and tweak it before making a finalized template option. With each change you will be prompted to save - you don't have to, but in case you do make that selection you will have to undo changes manually.
3. In the Metadata panel, you can edit the name of the Template, and you can also opt to give the template a description. This description will only be seen while editing.
4. The Appearance panel is where the bulk of the changes you can make to the template can be found:
- Width (Required)
- Height (Required)
- Powered by text (include or not)
- Choose a logo from a menu of uploaded logos, or no logo
- Upload new logo option
- The optimal size for a SDP logo is 300px length by 35px height
- Color and Style
- Frame Color
- Border Color
- Button Color
- Toolbar Color
- Find Field Color
- Border Width
- Column headers
- Wrap Column Titles
- Bold Titles
- Font Size
- Row numbers (include or not)
- Font Size
- Stripe Rows (stripe or unstripe)
- Stripe Color
5. The Behavior panel allows you to configure how users can interact with the embed.
You can choose whether the default options under the menu show or not. The default options are:
- More Views - more views created off of the underlying dataset
Download - download the data is the view is tabular or geospatial in nature
Discuss - allows one to comment on the embed or view comments, if this feature is enabled
Embed - create a clone of this embed which will have the exact same capabilities as the original
API - find the API endpoint to consume the data programmatically
- OData - See support article for more details
Print - print the contents of the embed
If you unselect all of the menu options the menu button will not appear.
Search - allows you to search within the embed
Info - provides metadata about the underlying view
Share Menu - allows you to share the embed
Full Screen - takes you to original view on the data portal
Warn When Leaving - shows an alert notifying users that they are being redirected to another site when clicking external links.
And that’s the Socrata Social Data Player! If you have any questions or suggestions on how we can make our documentation better please send an email to email@example.com.