We added a new card to help you better visualize numerical data! The Distribution Chart plots numerical values into bins:
- when the min and max values within the column range < 2,000, the bins increment linearly, i.e. 10, 20, 30, etc.
- when the min and max values within the column range >= 2,000, the bins increment logarithmically, i.e. 10, 100, 1,000, etc.
- When using the COUNT aggregation function, the distribution chart plots the number of rows into bins.
- In the example above, it’s a distribution of the number of accidents by total reportable damages. There were 1,885 accidents where the total reported damage was in the range of $100k to $1M.
- When using the SUM aggregation function, the Distribution Chart plots the sum of the column that was chosen into bins.
- In the example above, it’s a distribution of total infant capacity by total capacity. There are 3,656 infant capacities for all facilities where the total capacity ranges for 100 to 150.
- The Distribution Chart is available for number and money columns.
Save Map Pan and Zoom Level
Now you can save the pan and zoom levels of Point Maps and Region Maps. This feature allows you to customize what locations in a map that users see so that you can highlight the most relevant and important information on the page.
- You can use pan and zoom feature to focus on the locations or regions of importance, then hit save. Only administrators and publishers can save a new pan/zoom level.
- Users see the same view you just saved on the map when they first land on the Data Lens page. They can further explore other areas of the map by using pan and zoom feature.
Change Card Type Settings for Existing Card
We’ve enabled the card settings button for existing cards on the page in customize mode so that you can choose the most appropriate visualization for the given data column.
- In customize mode, you can change the visualization, or card type, of an existing card by clicking on the gear icon.
- The types of visualization that are available for a given column depends on its data type:
- number columns: Search Card, Column Chart and Distribution Chart
- text columns: Search Card, Column Chart
- location columns: Point Map
- date/time columns: Timeline Chart
Indicator for Dismissing Filters on Region Maps
- we added an indicator so that users can more clearly see when data is being filtered on Region Maps, especially in the case when the selected region is small.
- The new indicator also makes it easier to click and dismiss a filter.
Selected Bug Fixes and Patches
- We fixed an issue with the catalog where thumbnails appear broken for featured datasets and rich list view in the catalog.
- Now when thumbnails are not available, the default dataset or view icon is displayed
- We made a fix for an issue where some customers were not able to edit their Socrata Social Data Player (SDP) template.
- We’ve made further improvements to make the data table in Data Lens reflect the format of the source dataset
- Date formats from the source dataset is preserved on Data Lens pages
- Currency format from the source dataset is preserved on Data Lens pages
- International currency format support
- Fix for favicon not showing up for Data Lens pages
- Now the favicon for a domain’s Open Data Portal will also show up for Data Lens pages
- Fix for aggregation options sometimes appear in Quick Filter Bar for dataset without number columns, resulting in no columns to choose
- Now aggregation options don’t appear if there’s no options other than COUNT
- We’ve improved the Data Lens experience in Internet Explorer by making multiple fixes to ensure that the interaction is consistent and correct.