Your COVID-19 data site has a built-in content management system that allows you to customize the appearance of your homepage.
What is this Content Management System?
Your site uses Socrata datasets as its content management system, and you will be able to update the site by editing homepage datasets. If we look at your site, you will see that there are four datasets that control the main portions of this page: The Home Page Wallpaper, Image Tiles, Section Headers, and Featured Stories. You can find documentation on these datasets here.
With a little bit of imagination, you can see how this dataset correlates to the Homepage Wallpaper on
By editing the content management dataset just as you would any other dataset in your catalog, you can make changes to your site. Be sure to publish your changes and allow up to 1 minute to see your changes reflected on your homepage.
How do I know if my site is customizable by me, a site Administrator?
There are two places on your site to see if the homepages are customizable by you, an Administrator.
You can find your content management datasets at data.yoursite.gov/admin/home (or you can navigate to Administration -> Homepage Content).
If you find yourself on the /admin page. You can access the homepage datasets by clicking on the Homepage Content section.
Then a list of the datasets powering the homepage content will appear. You should be able to click on a link and have it navigate you to the corresponding dataset.
If you do not find you don't have access to the content management dataset, feel free to get in touch with our support team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
What portions of my site are customizable?
Each COVID-19 site has four customizable datasets that control the homepage configuration. There are a number of columns that you can edit to modify the appearance of the page. You can find detailed documentation on those datasets in the attached document here.
If you have questions, do not hesitate to get in touch with the support team by emailing email@example.com.
Is there anything else I should know?
One thing to keep in mind is that these content management datasets need to be public (as opposed to private) in order to power your site. As such, be sure to retain this permission level. If you do find that your site appears "broken" and you have been working on these datasets, be sure to check their permission status and ensure that it is "public".
Second, do not delete these content management datasets. As an Administrator, you have great power and can - technically - delete these datasets. Once these datasets are deleted, however, they are gone; the lost content cannot be restored and a replacement dataset will need to be created from scratch by a Socrata developer.
Editing a Dataset
Getting to the Editable Dataset
1) First just like mentioned above. Go to yoursite.gov/admin/home. You should see the page that lists the datasets powering the homepage content.
2) Second, click on the dataset you wish to edit. The following pages will appear.
3) Now, on either page click the “Edit” button in the top right.
4) A draft of the dataset will be created for editing purposes. To go into the editing view, click on the “View Data” button.
After clicking the “View Data” button, the following page should appear. This is where the dataset content can be changed.
Grid View Edit Page
Changing a Value in a Homepage Dataset
1) Start from the grid view edit page shown above. To change a value in a row, first double click on that row. A modal popup should appear.
2) Find the column you wish to edit and change the value under the “Column value(s)” section. If the value is un-clickable/un-editable check to make sure the “(No value)” section is checked.
3) Before the changes can be saved. All the values with a red background must be set to “(no value)”. To do so just click the “(No value)” checkbox.
4) Once all the values are filled in or are toggled to “(no value)”, go ahead and hit the “Save” button.
5) The previous changes are now saved to this working copy of the original dataset. In order to make these changes appear on homepage, click on the “Update” Button. This will overwrite the original dataset with the changes made in the working copy.
After clicking the “Update” button the homepage should be updated on your homepage domain.
Adding a Row in a Homepage Dataset
There are some cases where you may want to add a row to a homepage dataset, this is common when adding rows to the wallpaper dataset to create a carrousel.
1) Start from the grid view edit page. Click on a different “Edit” button shown below.
A drop down should appear.
2) Click on the “Add Row” option.
3) A modal popup should appear with all entries equaling “(No value)”.
4) Enter some of the values. Note that the column “sort_order” must be filled in, otherwise the homepage might break.
5) Click to “Save” button to finish adding the row to the working copy dataset.
6) To have it appear on the homepage. Click the “Update” button. It will take a few seconds to a couple of minutes to appear on the homepage.
If you wish to have anything further explained please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.