The dataset catalog is typically the first thing you see on a Socrata site, so what does everything mean on the catalog page?
1. Search: Enter in a keyword or words to search the catalog for matches. Results will be presented in the following order: matches in the title, matches in the dataset, and matches in the metadata. Standard boolean operators can be used, meaning you can type AND or OR between words to specify the type of search performed; an AND search is performed if no operator is specified. We also use word stemming, which means that if you type "educational," you will also get results that match education, educating, educate, etc.
2. View Types: Clicking on one of these will filter the catalog with data of only that type.
- Datasets: These are datasets uploaded into the Socrata platform.
- External Datasets: links to datasets stored elsewhere on the web.
- Files and Documents: downloadable files such as PDFs or Word documents
- Filtered Views: These are saved filtered Datasets. This is a view of a the type Dataset, and will be linked to the original Dataset through the "More Views" tab.
- Charts: Charts such as pie charts and bar charts created from Datasets. These will also be linked to the original Dataset through the "More Views" tab.
- Maps: Maps created from geolocation data or geospatial data (shapefile, kml, or kmz file). If it is based on geolocation data, it will also be linked to the original Dataset through the "More Views" tab.
- Calendars: Calendars created from Date&Time data in a Dataset. These will be linked to the original Dataset through the "More Views" tab.
- Forms: Forms are created from a Dataset, to collect information from users. These will be linked to the original Dataset through the "More Views" tab.
3. Categories: Clicking on a category will filter the catalog for all datasets with that category selected in the dataset metadata. These categories are set-up and customized by Administrators through the Admin panel.
4. Topics: Clicking on a Topic will filter the catalog by all datasets tagged with that word. This section is populated with terms as they are tagged on Datasets in the metadata.
5. RSS Subscription: Clicking on this allows users to subscribe to updates on the catalog.
6. Catalog Display Format: Toggle between detailed and rich display views of the catalog.
7. Sort: You can sort the catalog in a number of different ways:
- Most Relevant: This is generally associated with a search term, and is calculated based on a normalization of the number of views.
- Most Accessed: You can select "This Week," "This Month," and "This Year" and is based on the number of views of the page, or "Popularity."
- Alphabetical:Sorted alphanumerically.
- Newest: Sorted by the most recently added datasets.
- Oldest: Sorted by the least recently added datasets.
- Recently Updated: Sorted by the most recently updated datasets. This also takes into account newly added datasets, as their most recent update is the date of upload.
- Highest Rated: Sorted based on the average rating given to the dataset by users on the site.
- Most Comments: Sorted by the dataset with the most comments.
8. Number of Datasets in the catalog and the page: The text "Showing 10 of 20075" indicates the number of dataset on the page you are viewing, out of the total number of datasets and views in the catalog. For example, as you move through the pages, these numbers will not change.