There is some functionality that will no longer be available in the Socrata Data Management Experience. While some of these features will still be available for a limited time through the classic import tool, they will be fully deprecated over the coming months. Please see below for details on the functionality to be deprecated.
Create a dataset from scratch
In the classic import tool, you are able to create a dataset from scratch without a supporting file or link. In the new import experience, this will no longer be an option. You can create a CSV file with headers only if you need to create the schema for the dataset before adding the data.
In-dataset row editing (add/delete rows)
Using the working copy of a dataset, you were previously able to modify data directly in the grid. This included adding and deleting rows, as well as modifying existing rows in the dataset. Datasets will no longer use the classic working copy*, and drafts in the new import experience do not support the ability to add and remove rows in-line. Changes to the data should be made in your source file and pushed to the dataset by selecting Add Data in the revision. Additionally, we are working on features to connect directly to your source data, so updating your data directly from the source on a regular schedule will be much easier. Please note that you can edit individual cells in a dataset in the new experience, but you cannot add or delete rows.
The classic import wizard supported the upload of geospatial data with more than one layer. The new import experience only supports single layer maps. However, you can still create multilayer maps using the new Socrata mapping experience!
Several datatypes will no longer be available when creating datasets through the new import tool.
- Percent - The new tool will upload percents as numbers with a percent formatting option
- Money - The new tool will upload money as numbers with a money formatting option
- Document - The new tool does not allow documents to be stored in a dataset. Documents will need to be hosted outside of Socrata and linked in the dataset via a URL.
- Photo - The new tool does not allow photos to be stored in a dataset. Photos will need to be hosted outside of Socrata and linked in the dataset via a URL.
- Multiple Choice - The new tool does not support this option.
- Email - The new tool will upload email addresses as plain text with an email formatting option.
* There are very few exceptions to this, but an important one to note is that DataSync port jobs that are configured to "create a working copy" will still function properly, and you will be able to open that working copy normally. However, after publishing that working copy, subsequent updates to the dataset would be expected to go through the new editing experience. This may change in the future, which would be announced in advance through our Deprecation Roadmap article.