There is some functionality that will no longer be available in the new dataset import experience. While some of these features will still be available for a limited time through the classic import tool, they will be fully deprecated over the coming months. Please see below for details on the functionality to be deprecated.
Create a dataset from scratch
In the classic import tool, you are able to create a dataset from scratch without a supporting file or link. In the new import experience, this will no longer be an option. You can create a CSV file with headers only if you need to create the schema for the dataset before adding the data.
In-dataset row editing (add/delete/edit value or row)
Using the working copy of a dataset, you are able to modify data directly in the grid. This includes adding and deleting rows, as well as modifying existing rows in the dataset. Datasets will no longer use the classic working copy, and drafts in the new import experience do not support the ability to modify data in-line. Changes to the data should be made in your source file and pushed to the dataset by selecting Add Data in the revision. Additionally, we are working on features to connect directly to your source data, so updating your data directly from the source on a regular schedule will be much easier.
Website URL with labels
Using the classic import wizard, it is possible to upload a dataset with a Website URL datatype. This type would allow you to save URLs with a label (i.e. it was possible to save https://socrata.com as Socrata.com). With the new tool, URLs will be created as text columns and be displayed as hyperlinks only.
The classic import wizard supported the upload of geospatial data with more than one layer. The new import experience only supports single layer maps. However, you can still create multilayer maps using the new Socrata mapping experience!
Several datatypes will no longer be available when creating datasets through the new import tool.
- URLs - The new tool will upload URLs as plain text with a URL formatting option
- Percent - The new tool will upload percents as numbers with a percent formatting option
- Money - The new tool will upload money as numbers with a money formatting option
- Document - The new tool does not allow documents to be stored in a dataset. Documents will need to be hosted outside of Socrata and linked in the dataset via a URL.
- Photo - The new tool does not allow photos to be stored in a dataset. Photos will need to be hosted outside of Socrata and linked in the dataset via a URL.
- Multiple Choice - The new tool does not support this option.
- Email - The new tool will upload email addresses as plain text with an email formatting option.