Calendar Visualizations are now available on all sites across the platform. Users can create a calendar visualization to display basic event information at a monthly view.
How to Create a Calendar
1. Open a new visualization on your dataset (step-by-step instructions for how to do so are here).
2. When the visualization editor opens, the Calendar option will be on the end of the list of visualization types at the top:
3. In the left-hand panel, navigate to Data > Data Selection.
- Start Date: Begin by selecting the date/time type column in your dataset that is appropriate for the Start Date value. This is a required field.
- End Date: This field is not required, but can be configured if you have events in your dataset spanning more than one calendar date.
- Event Title: Select a text type column which contains the descriptive title data for your events.
4. In the left-hand panel, navigate to Presentation. Use the General settings here to configure your calendar's title, enter a brief description, and select basic options like whether to include link to the source dataset; then, use the Color settings to configure the background and text colors of the events on your calendar.
5. In the left-hand panel, navigate to Legends and Flyouts > Flyout Details. This is where you can customize the level of detail shown on the flyouts which appear when users hover their cursor over a given calendar event. Note that the default flyout will just show the Event Title, Start Date, and End Date (if configured).
6. Click Save Draft to save your changes and preview the result.
NOTE: There is a Reset button at the bottom left of the configuration panel of the visualization editor. This will completely erase all of your configuration settings if at any point you would like to start over. It is not an Undo button, so use with caution!
When exporting calendar data, users have the option to download the entire data file of a dataset, or its filtered contents (if filters are applied on the calendar).
Calendar data can be exported in the following file formats:
- CSV, CSV for Excel, CSV for Excel (Europe), RDF, RSS, TSV for Excel, and XML.
Like the other visualization types on our platform, Calendar visualizations can be inserted into content blocks within Perspectives Stories, or embedded on other webpages. Click the share icon on any Calendar visualization to open the Share and Embed modal, where you can copy iFrame as well as JS Embed code, and view previews of your embed.